Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Thank you, God for... Blisters.


I have an awful blister between my ring toe and my middle toe on my left foot. It hurts like no one's business. And yet, I am thankful for that blister. You know why? Because that blister represents the 13 miles I have covered these past 3 days (3 by bike, the rest on foot). That blister represents that I have made progress. I feel good enough to walk, and bike, and even run! (We didn't want to be late meeting Brent for lunch, he was buying...).

Painful things can be beautiful. Pain can produce in us things we never thought possible. Pain is also part of our story.

Last night we had the privilege of hearing an insider's interview of Louis Zamperini- the subject character of the movie "Unbroken". It was powerful. The speaker asked the crowd who had experienced struggles recently, many people raised their hands. He then proceeded to read the laundry list of horrific things Louis had experienced (including dashed Olympic hopes, plane crash, 47 days starving at sea, being a POW of the Japanese and tortured for 2 years, post traumatic stress disorder, alcoholism, then Jesus), showed us a video clip of Louis at age 93 smiling and quoting Romans 8:28 "And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him...", and asked us again if we had "problems".

Perspective- that's what it is. Hearing about someone else's pain does not minimize my own, but it helps to keep it in perspective. Evaluating my own pain in terms of how I can grow, how I can use it to point others to Jesus, and how it contributes to the kingdom keeps it all in check. Remembering that I am not the only person on earth who feels pain is a good habit to be in as well- perspective.

Today, a sweet friend that I did not know for nearly long enough lost her battle with cancer. Whether she meant to be or not, she was part of my story. She and her husband were some of the first people I ran into, in a parking lot, right after receiving my diagnosis. She helped me to process the whole "What do I do with this information?" question. We crossed paths, again in a parking lot the day before my second surgery. She had just finished another chemo treatment and was going to Target because "It's fun to go to Target!". Such a good reminder to me to keep living, not just staying alive. Her grace and dignity as she walked a road much more treacherous than mine were inspirational. She relentlessly lived a life of worship regardless of her physical state. Even in the midst of her tremendous suffering, she somehow always managed to ask me how I was doing before I could even get out a proper greeting. I am heartbroken for the loss that her husband and daughters are carrying today. I am thankful for the complete healing she received today, that she may never have found on earth regardless of how many treatments she endured. I am so humbled to have known her. Perspective.

So today, I feel pain- Both physical and emotional. But, I know that it is not without purpose and I choose joy. I will be thankful- even for that blister and all that it represents.  

No comments:

Post a Comment