Thursday, July 16, 2015

How will they know?


Have you ever been shown a kindness by a stranger and, later, desperately wished you could show them proper gratitude? Well, I got the rare opportunity this week to double back and thank some very special 'strangers' who stepped up and became part of my story this summer.

If you remember, one month ago from my hospital bed I sent a reluctant Brent, Blake, & Paige off to camp in San Diego less than 48 hours after surgery #2. A gutsy move? Maybe... But I didn't doubt for a moment that they were absolutely supposed to go. (You can read Brent's thoughts about this here brentdeffenbacher.blogspot.com June 17). 

Upon their arrival, they were lavished with love and encouragement by the staff of Hume SD (strangers). They may have just been doing their jobs- but those (strangers) who stepped up and not only distracted my 3 for a week, but filled up their love tanks, were an answer to my specific prayer from just days before... Lord, carry my loved ones through this. 

Fast forward to four days ago when I walked into the Hume SD offices and got to, in person, say thank you to these precious people. They were all new faces to me and yet, they embraced me like a long lost friend. Their love was evident, felt, and deeply appreciated.

This season in our lives has prompted many sweet and meaningful conversations with my children. The topic of one of these discussions included the fact that people who don't know Jesus are always watching us to see what's different. How are we going to carry ourselves in such a way that they will know we are set apart? How will what's different about us draw them in rather than push them away? There is an answer to this question found in John 13:34-35, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (NIV) 

In case anyone doubted it... The Hume SD staff MUST be Christian because they sure know how to love! After watching them in action this week I am so impressed by how they 'live love'. There IS something different about the way they interact with the people they come into contact with and, believe me, it hits the target. 

Yeah, my family may have had some exceptional circumstances heading down here but I am convinced that they lavished love on us not because of my illness- rather in spite of it! When the opportunity came for the four of us to return to Hume SD this week it was a unanimous yes!!

How amazing would it be if we, in all of our contexts, sought to create a sense that people are loved and welcomed and wanted? I am pretty sure that my family members weren't the only hurting souls that wandered into camp that/this week. I'm positive we aren't the only ones who walk away encouraged. Everyone has a story. Everyone has somewhere they've just been and somewhere they're headed to. Everyone has things that bring them joy as well as burdens that threaten to steal that joy. 

Dare to be different today. Dare to ask how someone is doing and wait for the (real) answer. Welcome strangers like they are long lost friends. Love like you've got nothing to lose. You never know the difference you might be able to make.

Those of us who have found ourselves on the receiving end of this kind of love have noticed the difference and it has made a world of difference! #thankful

No comments:

Post a Comment