Friday, June 12, 2015

Feel it, don't BE it



Surgery number 2 is today. In the spirit of being truthful, I've got some feelings about today that I'm not super proud of. I'm still ticked that I have to do this again. Yesterday I talked about plans, there was a great plan in place last time I had surgery (9 days ago) to catch cancer and take care of it. That plan failed us and here we are again repeating the process.

On June 2 there wasn't too much to be afraid of because I had never done it before- ignorance totally was bliss. I woke up that morning not knowing that it would take me 3 hours to wake up, that I would listen to everyone else in recovery eating snacks and partying while I could (literally) not open my eyes. I had not yet experienced the neck pain that far exceeded the pain of the incision. I had not yet had to desperately try not to throw up after having throat surgery. Well guess what, today I know what I am up against and I feel a little bit afraid.

God made my feelings- anger and fear- so they must not be all bad. They just need to be kept in context. I am supposed to feel them not be them. My feelings will not define me. As a really cool paster I know (hint: his initials are BD) likes to say, "Feelings are fickle". They will pass. If they threaten to stick around I have a choice to intentionally move past them. So today, even though I feel fear, I will not be afraid. I will remember that being unhappy about my situation does not change it and I will choose joy.

Watch out blog world, tomorrow I will be on pain meds! I cannot be held liable for what I may or may not say. Love you all. Thank you for joining me in this journey. Thank you for your encouraging words and your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you as you recover...hoping the icky feelings pass faster than last time.

    ReplyDelete