Thursday, September 3, 2015

Playlist for Radiation Day


“It’s today, it’s today it’s today!”- The opening line from Stuart Little keeps running through my mind. Except, I think that George Little (who has been eagerly anticipating the day his family adopts a sibling for him) might have a little bit more excitement in his voice than I would have if I tried waking my family up that way today. Why? because today is THE DAY. Radiation day. It is pretty easy to speak bravely, optimistically, nonchalantly, (insert your own adverb) about an event like this that is 2 months or even two weeks off. But, when that same event is 2 hours away- some of the resolve crumbles a bit.

I’ve been kind of weepy this week (SO embarrassing). I am 90% blaming it on the special diet I’ve had to follow. Who wouldn’t cry when you are so hungry?? Every time someone has said they were praying for me or looked me in the eye and asked me how I was doing, yep I cried. Sitting down with Brent on Sunday afternoon to script out the driving, kid watching, meal preparing, and sleeping arrangements for the whole week and especially the next 4 days made it all way too real. I am thankful for the wise, but simple truth that a friend spoke to me this morning, “Just think, one week from now this should all be over.”

That’s the plan, sweet friends, one and done. Although there is a small part of my heart that is bracing itself to be ready IF we need to do this more than once or it doesn’t go well, the plan is to do this part one time and be cancer-free in just a few short weeks.

What does today hold? Since I am musical, and everyone loves a good soundtrack I thought I would give you the rundown in the form of my “Playlist For Radiation Day”. For copyright reasons I did not put links to the songs, although that would have been fun. ** Disclaimer: Several songs were selected based on title alone... listen at your own risk!

2:00 am “Hungry Like The Wolf” Duran Duran (Again, special thanks to my low-iodine diet)
5:30 am “Tired” Adele (ALWAYS when the alarm goes off, even more so without a thyroid)
7:30 am “Happy” Pharrell Williams (Waving to parents and students in FC parking lot)
9:00 am “Bye Bye Bye” N’Sync (Leaving work for the last time this week)
9:15 am “I’ve Got a Question” Naked Brothers Band (Stopping by the endocrinologist on the way to the radiological oncologist- try saying that 5 times fast)
10:00 am “Radioactive” Imagine Dragons (Swallowing the capsule sized A-bomb)
11:30 am “Dirt Road Anthem” Jason Aldean (Driving back out to the country- home)
12:00 pm “All By Myself” Celine Dion (No one’s here, that’s how it has to be!)
12:00-4:00 pm “Sick” Evanescence (Yes, nausea is a common side effect)
   “Toxic” Brittany Spears (Right about now, I should start to glow)
12:00-8:00 pm “All Alone” Fun (Again, there should be no one but me in this house!)
8:00 pm “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” The Police (Kids walk home from grandma’s to go to bed, I will do my best not to slobber or sneeze on them when saying goodnight)
9:00 pm “Fight Song” Rachel Platten (I plan to lay down, sleep, and let my body fight while at rest… good plan, huh?)
10:30 pm “Your Side of the Bed” Little Big Town (Let’s just say, Brent is less than pleased about the sleeping arrangements for the next few nights. Your thyroid says, “Thank you” honey- see you again soon!)
On Repeat for 3 more days: “Radioactive” (reprise)- Imagine Dragons

It’s a little silly, but true to form I’m trying to have some fun with a not-so-fun situation. It’s going to happen with or without a smile and maybe even a few laughs. Thanks for smiling with me today and believing with me for happier playlists to come!


1 comment:

  1. Love the playlist! You are an inspiration. Go get 'em! Prayed for you here at the Monke house last night.

    ReplyDelete