Thursday, September 10, 2015

If you can't say something nice... (Thanks Thumper!)


Yes, I've been quiet for the last few days. That's been intentional. I've been practicing the advice passed along by the great theologian Thumper from the classic Disney movie Bambi click here

There hasn't been much nice to say about the past week, so I've chosen to say nothing at all.

Throughout the summer (and the whole cancer ordeal) I've done my best to be real yet point things back to Jesus, which should put a positive spin on just about everything we face. This past week it has been difficult to be positive.

I will not point fingers (too much), but I was not very well prepared for this phase of the process. Leading up to the radiation treatment, many of you know that I was not overly concerned and even had plans to get stuff done in the house during the isolation period. My plan to return to work on Tuesday was not me being Pollyanna-ish... it is truly what I was led to believe would happen. The only thing the doctor said about side effects was (and this is the QUOTE): "Some people get a little nauseous, but most people do just fine." The very quick summary of my past week (you're welcome for sparing you the details) is that there was nothing "a little nauseous" about what I experienced (and that side-effect list was much longer and scarier than nausea). What I feel right now, an entire week after receiving the treatment, might be described as "a little nauseous"...

So here I am, on Thursday, still not feeling well enough to go back to full days of work that I planned to return to on Tuesday. Still feeling yucky. And tremendously disappointed.

Then I must stop and think- what am I disappointed about? Disappointed that the doctor gave me bad information? Maybe I misunderstood him or maybe he knew that if he gave me all the details I may not have gone through with the (necessary) treatment.  Disappointed that I missed my (self-imposed) go-back-to-work-day? Everyone in my school community has been tremendously gracious and I seem to be the only one judging myself for going a couple days longer than expected. Re-read last sentence... a couple of DAYS. Some people spend months and even years fighting a whole lot more than nausea for a much less favorable prognosis than what I'm anticipating. Up until this week, cancer hasn't caused me to miss more than half a beat as it relates to my job. Disappointed that my family didn't get much of my attention this past weekend? At last count they were well-fed, had more playdate offers than they could say yes to, went to parties, movies, and probably got to stay up later than I would have allowed. They might want to lock me in my room more often after all of that fun!

Brace yourself, here comes that word I keep coming back to... PERSPECTIVE. Perspective does not cancel out what we will experience in this life (both good and bad), it just forces us to hold all of it lightly. Perspective says, "Look outside of yourself, look outside of your situation, remember that it is not all about you." What happens when I get my eyes off of myself? Where do I put them? I need to put them on the one who created me, who allowed my situation, and who ultimately holds ALL results in the palm of his hand.

2 Corinthians 4:18 (NLT) says, "So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we can see will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." Those words come from the Father. He says, if you're only talking about what's here (and it isn't nice) you aren't following my best for your life. Don't talk about it and focus on it. Look to something better. Look to My big picture for your life. Trust that I am using this in My story that is being lived out through your situation.

When the Father speaks, I should be listening. It isn't included in the video clip I put in at the beginning, but Thumper's mother has a saying of her own, "Thumper, what did your father tell you about _________?". If you need a smile today, if you need a fun reminder of why we should listen to The Father's words for our lives- go ahead and watch this. Thumper's father had a lot of great things to say and so does our (heavenly) Father.

My Heavenly Father is reminding me today that "I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. [and this part of it is but a blip on the radar screen]" Jeremiah 29:11 (with my takeaway added at the end).

Be encouraged, dear friends, that our "... present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!". Praying for you, that you will have nice things to say about today!

3 comments:

  1. You, my precious daughter, have been MY biggest encourager through all of your wise and God given words throughout this scary journey. Love you and what God is saying through you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazingly strong and encouraging woman you are! I pray you continue to be blessed with this uplifting and courageous outlook through your treatment process and that it is speedy and effective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazingly strong and encouraging woman you are! I pray you continue to be blessed with this uplifting and courageous outlook through your treatment process and that it is speedy and effective!

    ReplyDelete